Bor Dam

At last, took some time out to visit some place out of Nagpur. Shifted to Nagpur in May and didn't do much after that. Maybe because of settling down in Nagpur is taking longer than expected.   I was bored just sitting at one place enjoying the food. I decided to go to some place nearest to explore the possibilities for a night stay for the next time when I have time. So, this was just a day outing, not my style, but had to do something other than sitting at home on a Sunday morning.   

 

Some facts about the place -  
Distance from Nagpur - 60 km   


Route Option 1 (longer route)-  Hyderabad road - take a turn towards Wardha after Buti Bori - travel to Selu, a small village - take right turn and you reach Bor National park after traveling 16 km.   

Route Option 2 (60 km road) Travel from Hingna Road towards the village Hingni. You will have to ask for directions, however its a straight road except for a right turn 7-9 km before reaching the destination. You should see the sign pointing you in the right direction.   Food options - Though its only 1-2 hours drive from both the road options, there are not many places to eat on option 2. But option 1 has plenty of places to stop for a snack or a meal.   Same goes with the rest rooms.


Not very lush green as mentioned in the blog :(
Which road I prefer - 
I prefer the Option 2. Why?  
1. The road is almost isolated. Few vehicles pass you apart from the farmers and the cattle.  Though I would thing twice traveling on this road after dark.  
2. Very scenic road. Lush green trees all the way to the wildlife reserve. We traveled in the month of November. I am sure the road will look better in rainy season.  
3. Small ghat section - Never imagined a ghat section 40 kms from Nagpur. However, this ghat lasts only a couple of km, maybe less.   

Whats not good -  The road is in a bad shape on some stretches. But not enough to make you stop all the way. There is a 4 km stretch which is bad but can be covered at a speed of 40 km/hr.   What I think on this is when we are traveling through a country side and on a 60 km travel, why go fast. If I didn't have my two shouting kids in the back, I would have stopped at all the places possible to get a good look at the nature. 

Thanks to the kids, we stopped only for the nature breaks in a different way.

The DAM - The Dam is really small. Never saw a smaller dam before. Disappointed as I had seen much bigger dams before. Nagarjuna Sagar and srisailam were awesome compared to this one at Bor national park.       



The disappointment soon would change to a real relief in some time.   See that tree up there in the above picture. Just climbed on the levee and HOLA.



Now this was the place I was looking for. The bad thing was, I was there at a bad time of the day and the bad time of the year. If I was there in the months of July - August, this place would have been different. 



But still, it was quiet and scenic how I wanted it to be. Now the place I was looking for was a place to stay from where I could see this view. And found one :)

Let's zoom a little.      



 
MTDC BOR DAM RESORT -   I believe they have around 8-10 rooms on the hill. They couldn't have found a perfect spot for the huts. I didn't go there so not sure if those are tents or concrete huts. Will explore them in my next trip next month starting.


What to do at Bor dam when on a day outing. Nothing much. sit down under a tree next to the water. Yes, you can get down from the resort to the river. Though swimming is not allowed, who can stop guys from Nagpur and Wardha. I would still ask you not to get into water as its not allowed. 


Photo courtesy - http://abhi-recipecollection.blogspot.com




There are small places for snacks at the entrance of the dam. You get cold drinks, chips and boiled ber. There is a restaurant opposite to the gate and inside the MTDC resort with basic meals. Didn't try it myself. 







Next plan - Go Tiger safari in a jeep at Bor National Park and spend a night at the MTDC resort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All about Semadoh Tourist Complex - MahaEcoTourism

Pench National Park / Karmazari